If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Thu May 1 06:57:27 EDT 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Kathleen Jennings wrote:

> And at 6 this evening I had an "aha" moment and suddenly realised what Maree
> meant in Deep Secret when, on the road to Babylon, she said "Fire and flete
> and candlelight". A bit embarassing, actually as I have had the Lyke-Wake
> Dirge stuck in my head for weeks now. "If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st
> nane / - Every night and alle, / The whinnes sall prick thee to the bare
> bane...".

	I *love* the way she has used the Dirge. The way Maree returns
from Babylon wearing the ratty old skirt and top Rupert first met her in
and she'd carefully replaced so she could go to the con with a nice new
outfit, and Nick's post-Babylon duds are obviously Very Old Indeed & much
too small for him. Very subtle, very clever, very apt. Janine never struck
me as the kind of person who'd donate much to charity shops and of course
Young Master Nick wouldn't think of any such thing... actually that left
me more wondering just how come he *had* got clothes... I wouldn't put it
past him to have heard the Dirge & donated some Just In Case. I think he
would be safe on the meat & drink front, as he's not mean, just a bit
selfish... And just in case anyone is thinking "Huh?" I'll paste the Dirge
below...

> What other poem and rhymes are noticeable in Deep Secret? "How many miles",
> the "Lyke-Wake Dirge", the tower of Babel and the hanging gardens of
> Babylon. Any others?

	There's a reference to Orpheus (Nick is scared to look behind at
Maree on the road from Babylon just in case...). Can't think of any
others, but I'll have a look....

THIS ae nighte, this ae nighte,
  Fire and fleet and candle-lighte,
  And Christe receive thy saule.

When thou from hence away art past,          5
  To Whinny-muir thou com'st at last;
  And Christe receive thy saule.

If ever thou gavest hosen and shoon,
  Sit thee down and put them on;
  And Christe receive thy saule.

If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane
  The whinnes sall prick thee to the bare bane;   15
  And Christe receive thy saule.

>From Whinny-muir when thou may'st pass,
  To Brig o' Dread thou com'st at last;
  And Christe receive thy saule.   20

>From Brig o' Dread when thou may'st pass,
  To Purgatory fire thou com'st at last;
  And Christe receive thy saule.

If ever thou gavest meat or drink,   25
  The fire sall never make thee shrink;
  And Christe receive thy saule.

If meat or drink thou ne'er gav'st nane,
  The fire will burn thee to the bare bane;
  And Christe receive thy saule.

This ae nighte, this ae nighte,
  Fire and fleet and candle-lighte,   35
  And Christe receive thy saule.