If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st nane

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu May 1 00:39:23 EDT 2003

Anna wrote:
> Whoops! I *am* sorry. Just as well I chucked in all that
> spoiler space then, but still, it was impatient of me & I apologise!

No need! I am off to buy it asap - I just wanted to wait until I could read
Deep Secret and that took ages to arrive. (Finished it at 3:30am this
morning).

And at 6 this evening I had an "aha" moment and suddenly realised what Maree
meant in Deep Secret when, on the road to Babylon, she said "Fire and flete
and candlelight". A bit embarassing, actually as I have had the Lyke-Wake
Dirge stuck in my head for weeks now. "If hosen and shoon thou ne'er gav'st
nane / - Every night and alle, / The whinnes sall prick thee to the bare
bane...".

What other poem and rhymes are noticeable in Deep Secret? "How many miles",
the "Lyke-Wake Dirge", the tower of Babel and the hanging gardens of
Babylon. Any others?

Regards,
Kathleen.