Deep Secret, Spoiler Space, Merlin

Anna Clare McDuff amcduff at math.sunysb.edu
Thu May 1 02:34:09 EDT 2003

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Sally Odgers wrote:

> Zinka were her & her husband's protestations that of course she was
> > faithful. Just goes to show how effective it can be to talk the talk while
> > walking however you damn please...
>
> Just to chuck another spanner - how about this scenario? Zinka isn't from
> Earth, and she is using *her* world's definition of faithfulness... which
> may be similar to the one in which a woman marries into a family.

	Ooh, clever! Is it Tibet where women usually marry several
brothers at once? The evolutionary theory behind that I remember reading
was that as none of the husbands know whether they are fathers or uncles
they all pitch in equally to raise the children, useful in a hostile kind
of environment. I can't *imagine* what an ammonia strewn desert Zinka's
home planet must be if she feels she needs several Magids to daddy the
kids :-)

	Anna