Naming things (was re: O/T Older Cars)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 18:09:05 EST 2003

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> >I don't tend to name inanimate objects much; I'm
> not very good with
> >names, either inventing them or remembering them,
> generally.
>
> We don't tend to name inanimate objects in our
> family, but we are
> inveterate nicknamers. This, of course, often leads
> to a good deal of
> trouble when the objects of the nicknames find out.
> Or for other reasons. I
> recently sent my brother and his girlfriend in
> Australia a parcel, and then
> found out that a lot of post offices are requiring
> identification before
> they let you pick up parcels. Maybe they can tell
> the post office that the
> parcel is for their cats or something.

Our Post Office is usually very good, they put mail
that one of our friends always addresses to "the Tin
House, Ridge Rd, Kilaben Bay" into our Post Office
Box. Unfortunatley there is someone else with the same
as me further down the road, who have an unlisted
telephone number, for quite a while people would think
that my address in the phone book was there's and we
would get lots of mail intended for them. That hasn't
happened for a while so either they've told all their
friends where they live or the postman has worked out
who gets which mail.

Jon