Naming things (was re: O/T Older Cars)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 30 08:50:03 EST 2003

Naming things...

In our family, we tend to refer to cars by their make and/or model,
which generally suffices. One exception is my mother's last car but
one, which she called "the s'Bass Bug" (pron. like "space bug"),
partly in reference to it being shaped like a Star Trek shuttlecraft
on wheels, and partly because she'd bought it because it was the only
car she could find that could fit a double bass inside.

Computers... I only name my computers only if they're connected to a
network; then I name them after planets. The computer I had at uni was
"Skaro", and the computer I use at work is "Telos" (which I suppose
makes Skaro's successor "Mondas", but it's never been connected to a
network so it's still just "the computer in my bedroom").

I don't tend to name inanimate objects much; I'm not very good with
names, either inventing them or remembering them, generally.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."