Vlad Taltos (was Re: Hurrah for Hallie was Re Ender's Game)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 03:57:40 EST 2003

--- Ven <vendersleighc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a hugely ambitious project given the
> vagaries of life/ publishing houses etc. Is
> anyone else silly enough to worry that if Western
> civilisation collapses (for any reason, not to be
> topical)  they won't get to finish various
> series?

I suspect that civilization will last long enough, but
authors are, sadly, mortal. There are quite a few who
Are Not Allowed To Die before they finish their
series. I can recall feeling great joy when Jack Vance
finally got back to his Demon Prince series after
quite a gap. There are several other series of sf and
fantasy that were never completed. And who'd give odds
that Robert Jordan ever intends to complete his Wheel
of Time series?
Incidently readers of Baxter's Manifold series will be
aware of the (genuine) mathematical prediction that
the human race has another 200 years yet before it
becomes extinct.

Jon