Hurrah for Hallie was Re Ender's Game

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Mar 28 16:50:36 EST 2003

>Yes, yes, yes to _Northanger Abbey_ - I like the broadest bits best,
>ie. the beginning and Henry's description of NA to Catherine before
>she gets there.

Would you buy a possible allusion to the beginning in the beginning
of Howl?  Just maybe?  I love Henry's Gothic pastiche too, but hadn't
noticed just how clever it was until we studied it last year - he has
her conquering her unsurmountable horror, and detecting the hole in
the tapestry that's so artfully constructed as to defy the minutest
inspection.   Always amuses me!

>>  ... history, real solemn history, I cannot be interested in.  The
>>  quarrels of popes and kings, with wars and pestilences, in every
>>  page; the men all so good for nothing, and hardly any women at
>>  all....  I often think it odd that it should be so dull, for a good
>>  deal of it must be invention.
>
>Have you tried JA's _History of England By a partial, prejudiced, &
>ignorant Historian_? A bit like '1066 and All That' but over 100
>years earlier of course..

Yes, but not for years (mentally adds it to towering TBR pile).

>  It's almost my favourite bit of juvenilia apart from Daisy
>Ashford's _The Young Visitors_ and Austen's own _Love and
>Freindship_ [sic], which is a funnier take on the satirical targets
>of _Sense and Sensibility_.

Love and Freindship I haven't read - must keep an eye out for it!

Halllie.