Vlad Taltos (was Re: Hurrah for Hallie was Re Ender's Game)

Fri Mar 28 13:33:12 EST 2003

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:08:15 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> (If we're all very, very good, we may end up with a full 17
>> volumes, one for each House of the Cycle....)
>
>It's going to have to be at least 18, then, because last time I
>checked "Taltos" wasn't a House of the Cycle.  :)

It wouldn't be a good day if Paul weren't out there somewhere picking at the
literary nits of the world.  :)  (Or my literary nits, anyway, though that
metaphor doesn't bear much scrutiny...what would a literary nit hatch into,
anyway?)

>(In fact, the target is apparently 19 - the final book of the series,
>apposite and not-House-y.)

That's nice to know.  I'm actually content with whatever he chooses to do
with the series--it's hard to remember sometimes that there are even as many
books as there are right now.  But after _Orca_ I gave up on trying to
predict what he was thinking, because I'm clearly not in his league.

>> Chronological order, more or less, if you really feel the urge
>> (let's see if I can still do this without referring to the shelf):
>>
>> Taltos
>> Yendi
>> Dragon
>-snip-
>
>Steven Brust says, on his web site:
>
>"I have a lot of sympathy with people who want to read the books in
>chronological order, so I wrote this one [_Dragon_] to help them out:
>it falls before and after _Yendi_. Heh heh heh."

It does indeed.  But I'm trying not to give people headaches with reading
two books at once and using multiple bookmarks.  Besides, I still don't
believe in the whole chronological order thing.  What happens when
_Chreotha_ comes out ten years from now and turns out to be set before
_Taltos_?  Huh?

Melissa Proffitt