Hurrah for Hallie was Re Ender's Game

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 08:18:32 EST 2003

Yes, yes, yes to _Northanger Abbey_ - I like the broadest bits best, ie. the beginning and Henry's description of NA to Catherine before she gets there.

> ... history, real solemn history, I cannot be interested in.  The
> quarrels of popes and kings, with wars and pestilences, in every
> page; the men all so good for nothing, and hardly any women at
> all....  I often think it odd that it should be so dull, for a good
> deal of it must be invention.

Have you tried JA's _History of England By a partial, prejudiced, & ignorant Historian_? A bit like '1066 and All That' but over 100 years earlier of course.. It's almost my favourite bit of juvenilia apart from Daisy Ashford's _The Young Visitors_ and Austen's own _Love and Freindship_ [sic], which is a funnier take on the satirical targets of _Sense and Sensibility_.

Charlie