Vlad Taltos (was Re: Hurrah for Hallie was Re Ender's Game)

Fri Mar 28 01:56:52 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:36:36 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>Can someone suggest a reading order? Our library has at least some of
>these, but annoyingly the online catalogue gives no hints.

I think reading them in publication order is probably best.  (Have I
mentioned lately how much I HATE HATE HATE when a series is listed
alphabetically?  Like that does me any good.)  Brust loves to play around
with style and foreshadowing; I think I might have said before that _Yendi_
confused me beyond belief because it implied that I should have read
something else first...and yet it was only the second book available!  So
you get more out of the series if you recognize the sly hints and innuendos,
some of which aren't dropped for a VERY long time.

Anyway, the Taltos books:

Jhereg
Yendi
Teckla
Taltos
Phoenix
Athyra
Orca
Dragon
Issola

(If we're all very, very good, we may end up with a full 17 volumes, one for
each House of the Cycle....)

Chronological order, more or less, if you really feel the urge (let's see if
I can still do this without referring to the shelf):

Taltos
Yendi
Dragon
Jhereg