Older cars

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 16:42:59 EST 2003

My old banger of a civic was a '77 but it bellied up in '94. So it certainly
doesn't count.

But my cousin in Phoenix is still driving the '56 Chevy that was the family
car when she was a baby. It's in and out of the shop a lot, but it's mostly
still in service.

Older cars tend to survive in predominently dry climates. Anywhere it snows
thay tend to rust out or corrode from the road salt. Here in L.A. a
20-year-old car is not at all remarkable and 12 is about average.

My mother always insisted on naming cars. By the time I was 12 I was already
beginning to find that just too twee for words. Any car of mine is generally
"the car" Although the '69 Fiat 850 Spyder *earned* the title of "the blue
lemon".