Naming things (was re: O/T Older Cars)

rganetzk at oberlin.edu rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Thu Mar 27 14:39:38 EST 2003

My computer is named Nowhere...in reference to Fire and
Hemlock, because a) I was desperate for a name, and that was
the most recent thing I'd read at the time and b) I like the idea of
being "Nowhere" when my computer is processing a request or
trying to connect and then *poof* "Now here" when it finishes (Btb,
I'm a Comp Sci major...I realise these things don't happen
magically, but I like to pretend they do...less coding for me :)

Also...someone (Sally?) asked whether a DWJ book equated
naming with bringing to life...the closest I can think of to that is
Howl's Moving Castle, in which (MILD SPOILER WARNING)
Sophie brings things to life by talking to them, and describing
them.
-RDG