O/T Older Cars

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Mar 26 19:29:34 EST 2003

> Our first car after we were married was also named after her numberplate:
JG
> =Juliet Gulf. She was a personality

Hmm - I'm a namer by nature, of pets, characters and places. But I can't
name something I will probably end up selling or trading in. "To name"
implies "to befriend" or "to bestow person-status" to me, and you don't sell
your friends. Not usually, anyway.

Remember in "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" Kit mentions to Nat that she "even
had to sell her own negro girl" (and I'm pretty sure she mentions her by
name) to raise the fare to America? Nat, being anti-slavery, takes that as a
mark of self-indulgent petulance, but I rather saw it as regret at having to
part with a friend.

The only things I can think of that usually have names *and* are
often/usually sold on are ponies... sold because their owners outgrow them.

OBDWJM - where in DWJ is there the concept of "naming" as "bringing to
life"?

Sallyo.