Ender's Game

hallieod at indigo.ie hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Mar 26 16:43:17 EST 2003

Way too late for the discussion, but I finished this recently and had
a question.  IIRC, both Melissa and Dorian said at some stage that
_Ender's Game_ wasn't a YA book, and possibly that Card himself had
said so.  As I read his comments in the introduction, it certainly
seemed at least implied that he did consider it written for a YA
audience, though not necessarily exclusively.  Interestingly, the
copy which was released over this side of the world as a YA book
didn't contain the introduction.

So I was just wondering - aside from the obvious (too violent and
grim for younger kids) - what was it that made people consider this
an adult book?  Not even entirely un-topical, because of the Deep
Secret mangling and re-issuing.

My reaction, fwiw, was mixed:  I was gripped and moved, would
recommend it (and am pushing it on Becca!) but also found some
elements quite disturbing.  And I think I'd have liked more had I not
read the introduction, parts of which I found really off-putting.
On the other hand, I may be moving more in-line with list
sensibilities, as I got a loan of The Book of Jhereg from a
Bookcrossing friend and really liked Jhereg.  :-)

Hallie.