O/T Older Cars

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Mar 26 13:01:05 EST 2003

Yes, we name our cars.

Our current set of wheels (a 2002 Nissan Altima - not a candidate for
the older cars discussion!) is named "Alti" as a play on its make and
a homage to that great Xena villain.

Our previous car, a 1990 Toyota Camry wagon, was "Tashima" - mostly
because I insisted we name it after Tasha Yar from Star Trek, and
then Mark did his usual mutation of names (my nicknames have
nicknames!) and "Tashima" it was.

for what it's worth . . .

>Anyone else name their cars?  (I like Marjorie particularly, Philip.)  We've
>only had a few bland vehicles that didn't earn names...our theory was that
>they were so tired and old that they had fallen into a deep sleep, and thus
>weren't aware of us or the world around them.  Probably half our cars have
>fallen into this category.
>
>We've never had anything older than an '87 Cadillac, Big Bertha, which was
>probably top of the line when she was young.  Ernest was our pre-marriage
>car, the one we did all our courting in.  Mary Ann was the best, but we had
>to trade her in because we couldn't fit three car seats into her back seat.
>Our present car is a full-sized custom van called Stan, due to his being a
>gruff and silent type who gets the job done.  Poor Stan has had very bad
>health lately and has spent far too much time in the shop, but now that
>we've replaced almost every major system in his body, we hope he's going to
>be with us for a long time.
>
>Melissa Proffitt

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net