On names, changing them, and origins

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 21 19:56:07 EST 2003

On 21 Mar 2003, Susanna E. Leng 98 wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:13:54 +0800 (WST) dwj at suberic.net
> wrote:
>
> > On 6 Mar 2003, Susanna E. Leng 98 wrote:
> >
> > > In the spirit of names, pronunciation, and that, could
> > > anyone  perhaps throw some light on my last name?
> > > (Leng)
> >
> > There's a Plateau of Leng in, IIRC, Antarctica, but I
> > very much doubt it's named after any of your relatives.
> >

> > That wasn't very helpful, was it?  :)
>
> Perhaps not helpful, but certainly interesting.
> I've always wanted to go to Antarctica, now I have a specific
> destination in mind.  (Probably will turn out to be well beyond
> where I might actually be able to go.)

Before anyone else gets any more bright ideas, I should point out that
I was kidding: the Plateau of Leng doesn't actually exist except in a
novel by H. P. Lovecraft. Sorry.

And you probably wouldn't be able to go there, anyway: he deliberately
set it in a remote and inhospitable part of Antarctica which at the
time was completely unknown and even now has only been visited once,
by a dedicated scientific expedition. I recommend you to stay home and
read the memoirs instead. :)

The record of the fictional expedition is
 _At the Mountains of Madness_ by H. P. Lovecraft.

The record of the real expedition is
 _Mountains of Madness: a scientist's odyssey in Antarctica_
 by John Long.
(The expedition took one novel to while away the long Antarctic
nights. Guess what it was.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."