Lady Bird Johnson

Fri Mar 21 12:40:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:39:02 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Ian W. Riddell wrote:
>
>> Otter:
>> > (Which reminds me - I've always wondered why LBJ's wife wasn't
>> > known as Ladybug Johnson - any ideas?)
>-snip-
>
>> Ladybugs are also referred to as Lady Birds (especially in the UK,
>> yes?).
>
>Yes, but not so much in the US, which I think was the point of Otter's
>question: why was she nicknamed Lady Bird instead of Ladybug?

In the American South (not South America :) the concept of gentility spills
over into dialect in a funny way sometimes.  "Lady bird" is more refined
than "lady bug" and at that time, in that place, it would have been the
proper term.  Texas isn't the same as "the South" really, but while some of
the customs are different, they seem to retain some of the same attitudes
about polite behavior and speech.  But as I only lived in Texas for a short
time, this is the limit of my knowledge.

Melissa Proffitt