Ender's Game request

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu Mar 20 21:39:19 EST 2003

---Original Message From: hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
> Otter:
> >Alert as I usually am for homophobia, and suspicious as I
> > may [or may not] be of Mr. Card, I just can't get stressed
> about his
> >use of the word.
>
> Glad to hear it, and as I haven't even read the book I'm very
> happy to accept your judgement (and Jacob's). The phrase does
> read oddly to British eyes, though (mine, anyway), because
> bug in the sense of insect isn't that common here, except as
> an Americanism, whereas bugger in the sense of homosexual is.
> (Which reminds me - I've always wondered why LBJ's wife
> wasn't known as Ladybug Johnson - any ideas?)
>
> I'm trying to think of an equivalent that would work the
> other way. The best I can come up with is, a hypothetical
> anti-smoking campaign that used 'Get Rid of All Fags!' as its
> slogan. How would that play across the Pond?

Not at all well.  It's almost unknown to use 'fag' in a non-gay man sense.
It's probably even worse because it's an undiluted slur and doesn't even
have the pseudo-saving grace of potentially not referring to a person.  It
isn't an expletive or activity and pretty much would *only* refer to a gay
man.

Jacob Proffitt