Lady Bird Johnson

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 20 21:39:02 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

> Otter:
> > (Which reminds me - I've always wondered why LBJ's wife wasn't
> > known as Ladybug Johnson - any ideas?)
-snip-

> Ladybugs are also referred to as Lady Birds (especially in the UK,
> yes?).

Yes, but not so much in the US, which I think was the point of Otter's
question: why was she nicknamed Lady Bird instead of Ladybug?

I can think of two possibilities offhand, of which I favour the
thought that "Lady Bird" is just a nicer name (and has the advantage
that if one is not aware that it's the name of a bug, it's not
immediately obvious).

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."