Ender's Game request

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 18:18:40 EST 2003

--- Otter Perry <ottertee at earthlink.net> wrote:

> hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > Otter:
> > >Alert as I usually am for homophobia, and
> suspicious as I
> > > may [or may not] be of Mr. Card, I just can't
> get stressed about his
> > > use of the word.
> >
> > Glad to hear it, and as I haven't even read the
> book I'm very happy to accept your judgement (and
> Jacob's). The phrase does read oddly to British
> eyes, though (mine, anyway), because bug in the
> sense of insect isn't that common here, except as an
> Americanism, whereas bugger in the sense of
> homosexual is.

In Australia bugger is usually used, these days, as a
term of friendship " 'ow ya goin' ya' ol' bugger?" (in
much the same way as a previous generation of
Australians used the word bastard. Or, alternateivly
as a mild exlpetive, such as vicar might use if he hit
his thumb with a hammer in church :) , there was a
series of ads here (I think of new Zealand origin) for
a work vehicle in which the only words used in the ad
were "oh, bugger!" many times as the vehicle knocked
over fences, flattened buildings etc.

Jon - who has only just noticed that the candidates
for both major parties in tomorrows NSW state election
for my electorate are gay, not openly. but they make
no secret of it either.