Lady Bird Johnson

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Thu Mar 20 11:50:48 EST 2003

Otter:
>(Which reminds me - I've always wondered why LBJ's wife wasn't known
>as Ladybug Johnson - any ideas?)

She was born Claudia Taylor Johnson and given the nickname "Lady
Bird" (note, two words) when she was a child.

The White House Web site doesn't give any reason for the nickname,
but this site (http://www.aboutfamouspeople.com/article1084.html)
does:

"Claudia (Lady Bird) Alta Taylor was born in Karnack, Texas, the
daughter of Thomas Jefferson and Minnie Patillo Taylor. Her nurse at
an early age nicknamed her "Lady Bird," after a tiny red and black
garden beetle, and from then on refused to use her christened name."

Ladybugs are also referred to as Lady Birds (especially in the UK, yes?).

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net