Ender's Game request

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 11:12:30 EST 2003

Otter:
>Alert as I usually am for homophobia, and suspicious as I
> may [or may not] be of Mr. Card, I just can't get stressed about his
> use of the word.

Glad to hear it, and as I haven't even read the book I'm very happy to accept your judgement (and Jacob's). The phrase does read oddly to British eyes, though (mine, anyway), because bug in the sense of insect isn't that common here, except as an Americanism, whereas bugger in the sense of homosexual is. (Which reminds me - I've always wondered why LBJ's wife wasn't known as Ladybug Johnson - any ideas?)

I'm trying to think of an equivalent that would work the other way. The best I can come up with is, a hypothetical anti-smoking campaign that used 'Get Rid of All Fags!' as its slogan. How would that play across the Pond?

Charlie

Freeserve AnyTime - Go online whenever you want for just £6.99 a month for
your first 3 months, that's HALF PRICE! And then it's just £14.99 a month
after that.

For more information visit http://www.freeserve.com/time/ or call free on
0800 970 8890