Ender's Game request

Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 09:11:56 EST 2003

Jacob Proffitt wrote:

> ---Original Message From: Charles Butler
> >
> > Okay, I haven't read Ender's Game or any OSC, but overhearing
> > this conversation I couldn't help wondering about a
> > (possibly?) homophobic writer creating a civilisation called
> > Bugger. Obviously I'm going to have to read this book!
>
> Yeah.  That one's been kind of done to death.  OSC claims that he didn't
> mean to imply anything and that it was a riff on their bug-like nature.
> Personally, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt on stuff like
> that.  It'd take a string of such co-incidences for me to assume bad
> intentions by an author.  Particularly when the slang is British and not
> terribly well-known here in the U.S. (particularly at that time when the
> British/U.S. cultural cross-over was less organic).

I'm a big ol' queer myself, though of the woman-socialized-woman variety
rather than the man-socialized-man variety, but I think anybody'd be
hard put to it to come up with a different and equally convincing slang
term for an insect enemy.  'Bugs' just doesn't flow as well as 'Buggers',
to my ears.  Alert as I usually am for homophobia, and suspicious as I
may [or may not] be of Mr. Card, I just can't get stressed about his
use of the word.

As always, that may say more about me than about the discussion ....