Heinlein (was Re: On cataloguing books )

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 15:04:41 EST 2003

--- Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:20:29 -0800 (PST), Jenwa
> Hsung wrote:
>
> >I think you're thinking of _Number of the Beast_,
> one
> >of the two Heinlein's I've actually read.  I
> enjoyed
> >it a lot, and was relieved to find it much better
> than
> >_The Cat Who Walks Through Walls_, which was *not*
> >good introduction to his work.
>
> It really isn't.  I liked it, but mainly because I
> had read others first.
> (My first Heinlein was _Space Cadet_, a sweet guilty
> pleasure.)  _Number of
> the Beast_ does have a lot of things that make me
> cringe, particularly that
> bit about frying bacon in the buff, but the "Gay
> Deceiver" and the idea
> about different literary universes are fun.
>
> >  I've always meant to
> >pick up another, probably _The Moon is a Harsh
> >Mistress_ because I've heard so many good things
> about
> >it, even from people who aren't fond of most of his
> >other stuff.  Perhaps I'll get around to it
> someday...
>
> You definitely should.  It represents some of his
> best work, I think, and is
> probably my favorite.  Also recommended reading for
> anyone who wants to
> stage a revolution and/or control a government
> behind the scenes....

I'd second that, there are reports that Moon is a
Harsh Mistress is to be filmed (as is also Asimov's
Foundation), but I won't be holding my breath waiting.
MIAHM is also imho the last Good Book Heinlien wrote.
Just about anything written earlier is well worth a
read. The next couple, at least, were really quite bad
and the following ones were still horribly self
indulgent and not a patch on his early stuff.

Jon - for whom nipples going twang is a pet peeve