Ender's Game request

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Wed Mar 19 13:30:00 EST 2003

---Original Message From: Charles Butler

> Okay, I haven't read Ender's Game or any OSC, but overhearing
> this conversation I couldn't help wondering about a
> (possibly?) homophobic writer creating a civilisation called
> Bugger. Obviously I'm going to have to read this book!

Yeah.  That one's been kind of done to death.  OSC claims that he didn't
mean to imply anything and that it was a riff on their bug-like nature.
Personally, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt on stuff like
that.  It'd take a string of such co-incidences for me to assume bad
intentions by an author.  Particularly when the slang is British and not
terribly well-known here in the U.S. (particularly at that time when the
British/U.S. cultural cross-over was less organic).

Jacob Proffitt