Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Wed Mar 19 13:28:31 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:42:19 -0500, Rebecca Ganetzky wrote:

>*defensive* I'm not saying that I think the book as a whole is that
>way, or that I don't like it enough to read it.  It's one of my
>favorite books.  I'm saying that in the world Card has set up --
>where women are assumed by the government not to be good fighters
>unless proven otherwise, and everyone believes that Jews have this
>nearly super-natural military prowess and control all of the branches
>of the government -- there are a few things that make me
>uncomfortable.  There's not nec. anything wrong with a book that does
>that -- gender issues in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress make me
>uncomfortable, too...
>my point was simply that.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood where you were going with that.

I still think you may be overreacting in your interpretation of what the
world is like--but on the other hand, being uneasy about what you perceive
the world to be is perfectly reasonable.  That was *my* point--that a reader
doesn't have to justify his or her individual discomfort, because it's all
part of what you bring to the book.

Melissa Proffitt