Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Wed Mar 19 12:42:19 EST 2003

>Actually Gili already said the next thing I was going to say, which is that
>if you personally feel uncomfortable about a book, or feel that it contains
>hints of certain bigotries, then you are right to steer clear of it.  Sheri
>Tepper has written some great books in which I personally think she's
>slamming my religion.  I don't have any evidence that this is her intent
>(just rumors heard second- or third-hand) so I don't go around calling her
>an anti-Mormon, but it makes me wary of her books in general.
*defensive* I'm not saying that I think the book as a whole is that
way, or that I don't like it enough to read it.  It's one of my
favorite books.  I'm saying that in the world Card has set up --
where women are assumed by the government not to be good fighters
unless proven otherwise, and everyone believes that Jews have this
nearly super-natural military prowess and control all of the branches
of the government -- there are a few things that make me
uncomfortable.  There's not nec. anything wrong with a book that does
that -- gender issues in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress make me
uncomfortable, too...
my point was simply that.
--
Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for