Ender's Game request

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Wed Mar 19 12:05:15 EST 2003

>> but overhearing this
>> conversation I couldn't help wondering about a (possibly?) homophobic
>> writer
>> creating a civilisation called Bugger.
>
> I'm not sure how long the slang has been in existence, but Ender's
> Game is *old* (relative to Card's age).  I believe Card wrote it in
> college or soon after.  It was then republished in novel form, later.
> -RDG

The slang's been around a lot longer than that, several hundred years
minimum....I'm not sure how long it took "Bulgar" to mutate to "Bugger",
but it got its start with the church ascribing "vile practices" to
heretics who were thought to come from Bulgaria.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com