Heinlein (was Re: On cataloguing books )

Wed Mar 19 12:00:08 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:20:29 -0800 (PST), Jenwa Hsung wrote:

>I think you're thinking of _Number of the Beast_, one
>of the two Heinlein's I've actually read.  I enjoyed
>it a lot, and was relieved to find it much better than
>_The Cat Who Walks Through Walls_, which was *not* a
>good introduction to his work.

It really isn't.  I liked it, but mainly because I had read others first.
(My first Heinlein was _Space Cadet_, a sweet guilty pleasure.)  _Number of
the Beast_ does have a lot of things that make me cringe, particularly that
bit about frying bacon in the buff, but the "Gay Deceiver" and the idea
about different literary universes are fun.

>  I've always meant to
>pick up another, probably _The Moon is a Harsh
>Mistress_ because I've heard so many good things about
>it, even from people who aren't fond of most of his
>other stuff.  Perhaps I'll get around to it someday...

You definitely should.  It represents some of his best work, I think, and is
probably my favorite.  Also recommended reading for anyone who wants to
stage a revolution and/or control a government behind the scenes....

Come to think of it, Heinlein wrote a bunch of books that you could read as
how-to manuals, though only if you already agree with his politics and
philosophy.  _Tunnel in the Sky_ tells you how to win at "Survivor."
_Citizen of the Galaxy_ could be a primer on different types of government.
And so forth.

Melissa Proffitt