Ender's Game request

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 05:16:37 EST 2003

Melissa wrote:
> Okay, now that we have had a consensus of opinion, here is
> the point that my friendly adversary was making:

> In his opinion, the fact that Ender had to destroy the entire
> planet and the Bugger civilization was meant to be a surprise ending and
> that it failed.

That seems.. odd. I don't think I realised it was going to happen the first
time I read it, but I'd call that "not guessing the plot" rather than "being
set up for a surprise". All the way through he gets hints about the nature
of the Bugs, so it seems to unfold naturally. The way he suddenly finds that
he has won the war- that's a genuine surprise. The other two I thought he
might mean are finding out that the Buggers aren't Eeeeeevil after all and
that he can't go back to Earth- destroying the species never occured to me.
Jennifer