man meets all these figures out of literature

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 19 03:30:12 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Jon Noble wrote:

> Dr Who fans may also recall an episode in which the
> Doctor, or perhaps only his companions, encounters
> some fictional characters, I think it may have been
> with the Celestial Toymaker with either the first or
> second doctor.

You're conflating two stories here:

In "The Celestial Toymaker", the first Doctor and his companions
become trapped in a pocket reality inhabited by living toys (life-size
dolls, playing-card royals, etc.) ruled over by the Toymaker of the
title, an immortal who whiles away the centuries playing games with
anyone who stumbles across his reality - if a person loses a game,
they become one of his toys.

In "The Mind Robber", the second Doctor and his companions become
trapped in a pocket reality inhabited by mythological and fictional
characters (including Lemuel Gulliver, who, in a nice touch, speaks
only sentences that appear in _Gulliver's Travels_).

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."