Gregory Maguire - any good?

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 19 03:18:14 EST 2003

FWIW, as I'm joining so late:
I have mixed feelings about Gregory Maguire. He's very erudite, has
interesting ideas, and definitely explores interesting themes. But I find
his books to be wordy and plodding. "Wicked" I thought built up a lot of
suspense and then did nothing with it, I found it a very frustrating book to
read. Plus it is a horrendously bleak book. I did not like it. "Confessions
of an Ugly Stepsister" I tried reading, only made it about half way through.
Also bleak, also interesting at first, but again, I grew tired of waiting to
see where this book was leading me, when the way was so dismal, and with my
prior experience I wasn't sure I would find I had ended up anywhere, if that
makes any sense...

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug