Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 19 02:46:20 EST 2003

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Caleb wrote:

> 3 - Doctor Who novelizations. This is probably coloured a bit by
> now being a Doctor Who fan (although in a fairly laid back way, I
> hasten to add). I really enjoyed getting the books from the
> library, and was rather disappointed on seeing the actual TV
> stories they came from, which simply didn't compare to how I
> imagined them.

I'm with you there...

> 5 - My last choice. Hmm - Biggles, The Brain Sharpeners, The
> Weather Witch... gah! The choice. Erm, ah - yes, of course! The
> Asterix books, how could I forget? Part of the wonderful thing
> about them is how they work on several levels, so I enjoyed them
> then for the story and some of the more obvious jokes, and enjoy
> them now for that and some of the less obvious jokes! :)

Yep.

Which reminds me of a childhood favourite that I haven't seen anyone
mention: the Smurfs.

My primary school had some of the original comic book stories (in
translation, of course) that inspired the television series. Not as
clever as Asterix, of course, but still a whole lot of fun. Man, I'd
like to have a chance to read those again...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."