Literary pet peeves

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 19 01:31:50 EST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Sally Odgers wrote:

> > And, as someone else pointed out, the overuse of a pet phrase.
> > I quite like Katherine Kerr's Deverry books, but boy did I ever
> > get tired of characters "weeping in a brief scatter of tears"!
>
> I was going to write a long e-mail here, but my hands hurt too
> much. Instead, I'll direct you to two articles I wrote that more
> or less put my points.
>
> http://sallyodgers.50megs.com/eyebrows.htm
>
> http://sallyodgers.50megs.com/themesongs.htm

Interesting articles.

Guy Gavriel Kay's "signature tune" is that every world he writes
about, with one exception, has a legend about some distant unreachable
paradise with a name like "Fionavar" or "Fionvarre" or whatever;
I find this horribly irritating not so much because of the repetition
as because of the significance of the one exception: Fionavar is the
world in which his first novel was set.

But my favourite literary pet peeve, which I can't believe nobody's
mentioned, is the one in Tanith Lee's _The Black Unicorn_.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."