Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 01:02:41 EST 2003

--- Ven <vendersleighc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On market researchers Johanna said
>
> <I didn't pester people, either; it's pretty easy
>
> to just wave off a
> clipboard-wielding market researcher (or at least
>
> it was in our mall), &
> if someone said no, I certainly didn't push it.>
>
> I'm usually nice to researchers, I've even done
> surveys for them, got a free icecream once too!
> The ones I do hate are the ones touting for
> insurance claims. They don't carry clipboards and
> sort of sidle up to say something like "have you
> ever had a nasty accident?" I find them quite
> sinister.

Yes, you rather expect the next question to be, "then
would you like to try one?" Actually there was a
wonderful movie, which I've not seen for almost thirty
years, much of which was about nobling market
researchers called "the rise and rise of Michael
Rimmer" staring Peter Cook (iirc) in the title role.
He bribed someone in a rival firm to tell him where
his researchers would be operating and sent his own
people there to answer the questions. One survey
showed that most people in Britain were worshipers of
the Great White Ram. He then promised 100% accuracy in
his own survey which he achieved by surveying everyone
in the country. He eventually became PM and promised
complete democracy, every government decision was put
to a vote of all the people. Foreign policy on China -
everyone voted, new swing in a corner park - everyone
voted. After a few months he went on TV and told
everyone how he reaslised that people were getting
sick of all these decisions, well he had an answer,
just one more law they had to vote and if they passed
it they'd never have to vote for another law again....

Jon