Childhood books (was Re: Racism (was Re: Hugh Lofting))

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 00:41:57 EST 2003

--- Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 12:13:36PM -0800, Jon
> Noble wrote:
>
> > > ((this is the price of being the oldest - you
> cant't
> > > take all your childhood books when you leave
> home so
> > > younger siblings claim ownership of them))
> >
> > Or the price of being the youngest is that your
> elder siblings
> > have already snarfled the best books when they
> left...
>
> My younger siblings seem to be taking preventative
> measures on this
> score. Every now and again I'll be in my brother's
> room and find that
> some of my books have mysteriously migrated to his
> shelves (or, just
> as often, to his floor).

I've a daughter who does that now, especially the
floor part, as her bookshelves are chocka. She's
always going down to the library, removing about
twenty or thiry books she thinks she may want to read
and then leaving them in piles on her floor. Every six
months or so she does a tidy up and gives them back to
me to reshelve in the library. In the meantime all the
slots thay came from have been filled with new books
and everything has to be reshelved. This is no easy
task as my fiction books are shelved floor to ceiling
along a 6 metre wall three deep on the shelf
(paperbacks) with anything larger than a standard
paperback lying flat on the top of the paperbacks, but
still two books deep. Literally every spare space is
taken, and until I get a chance to reshelve everything
extra books have to lie in piles on the floor in front
of the shelves. It is a major operation to extract
anything that is not in the front row, especially if
it is on the top shelf, almost three metres off the
ground.

Jon