Ender's Game request (spoiler)

Ingrid Blythe Atkinson ingrid-blythe at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 18 23:17:03 EST 2003

First, on the reading of "Ender's Game". I think I'm the second person
who read the book when I was around twelve years old. I was in grade
seven, and an older friend told me I "Had to read it" because her
brother had read it, after -his- friend had read it in his grade ten
english class . . . I didn't find it very disturbing at all, or
upsetting. I've found that some of DWJ's works upset me a good deal more
than any of Card's work, like "Black Maria" and "Fire and Hemlock". I
also never noticed any anti-semitic themes, perhaps because, at twelve,
I wouldn't have known what it meant, coming from a small town with no
Jewish population whatsoever. I probably wouldn't even have known what
it meant to -be- Jewish. I also didn't notice any comments on women, but
that's still something I have a hard time picking up on, probably
because growing up it never occured to me that anyone could consider a
woman any less competent than a man at something (my mother has a rather
intense job that not only kept her out of the home during the day, but
also out of our city for days at a time, while my father ran a
photography business from our house). I think seeing those kind of
things are sometimes only there if you're looking for them, or acutely
aware of them.

I don't think there's any problem with letting younger teens read it
though. If it's too much for them, they'll stop reading, but the odds
are, it won't bother them at all. We're a fairly desensitized bunch,
these days.

Meanwhile, the all-mighty Melissa asked a spoiler prompting question

> Okay, in the course of a discussion on my Other List I got into a teensy
> argument with somebody who claimed that the twist at the end of _Ender's
> Game_ was poorly written and obviously not surprising.  I said it was.  It
> turned out that he had a different idea about what the reader was supposed
> to be surprised by.  So I want to do a quickie poll of those of you who have
> read _Ender's Game_:  What is the surprise climax of the novel?

Well, I apparently have to disagree with the majority of the list here,
because, while Ender finding out that he was engaged in actual battles
instead of simulations was perhaps the climax, it certainly didn't
strike me as much of a surprise.

I would have thought the surprise bit would be at the very end, when
Ender finds out the truth about the Formics, and realizes they weren't a
threat at all, and he all but destroyed an entire race of sentient
beings. Perhaps not the climax of the story, but I think it's more
deserved of being called a twist than the other.

I don't, however, agree with this Person from Another List. I think,
whichever you're considering, that they're both quite well written.

Ingrid, dropping off her Canadian penny before bed
--
If the uranium emitted an electron, it would trigger the hammer which
would break the bottle. That would release the gas that would kill the

Logic and Chaos - http://nyahnyah.net/blog/logicchaos.html