Book recommendation list Part II

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 20:31:19 EST 2003

On Catherine Sefton/Martin Waddell I said

<I feel that MW's
books
> have a definite Irish feel to them (Northern
> Irish), the countryside, the characters, the
> culture, it couldn't be anywhere else. To set
> them somewhere else would profoundly alter
their
> essence. I mean you can set just about any plot
> just about anywhere but not without producing a
> different work.>

Dorian replied

<And that's something *I* find interesting. :-)
It's always fun to read a
book set somewhere you've been, of course, and
being half-Northern-Irish
myself I've visited the areas he uses as setting
more than once (my
grandparents lived in Lisburn).  But I never felt

a sense of "home-ness"
reading his books, unlike reading, say Pat O'Shea

or Patricia Lynch or Orla
Melling.  I always sort of felt that "In A Blue
Velvet Dress" could probably
have been just as easily set in some small
seaside town in northern England,
or Scotland, or Wales - the only place I *can't*
put it is southern England,
for some reason.  But this, of course, may be
just an indication that I'm
not *that* familiar with Northern Ireland - or
that it's been too long since
I read that book!>

Long time since I read that one too. I was
thinking of thrillers like the kidnapping of
Suzie Q, which do seem steeped in rural
NIrishness to me (tho' I've never been there.

=====
Ven