Card

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Mar 18 15:12:38 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|You also have to understand that there is a sizeable population of LDS
|readers who will not read anything that doesn't bear some kind of official
|stamp of approval, like for example being published by the Mormon church.
|Such books have historically been tepid, bland, and inoffensive, and it is
|only recently that books with even a smattering of literary content are
|becoming available through that outlet.  Card's "Women of Genesis" series is
|groundbreaking in that respect; consider the effect on men and women whose
|literary experience is almost exactly zero.  Further consider that this
|publisher didn't even produce fiction until about thirty years ago, because
|it was a given that fiction wouldn't sell in the Mormon market.

A friend of mine, while writing her master's thesis on children's
literature and gender, found a wonderful quotation by Eve Kosofsky
Sedgwick: "kinda subversive, kinda hegemonic".  We have since decided
that this description fits almost everything in the entire world, though
some things fall far on one end or the othe.  DWJ, for example, is way
more subversive than hegemonic; R. L. Stine is more hegemonic than
subversive.  We've started using the shorthand "kinda-kinda".

This series sounds extremely kinda-kinda.  Note that I don't mean
"subverting the LDS" but "subverting the comfortable place where most
people choose not to think".  As someone who feels that if you don't
doubt a heartfelt conviction once a day, your knowledge and faith are
probably flawed, I approve whole heartedly.

And hegemonic is so appropriate a term for Card.  ;)

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
"I don't want to know what the structuralists think!  I want to
know what you think!"  -- Archer's Goon, Diana Wynne Jones