Gregory Maguire - any good?

Tue Mar 18 14:19:20 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:35:02 -0000, Abigail Gawith wrote:

>Has anyone read anything by Gregory Maguire?
>
>Borders in Cambridge has three books of his - _Wicked_, _Confessions of an
>Ugly Stepsister_, and _Lost_.  They sound like the kind of thing I enjoy,
>and I'd snap one up like a shot to see if I like it, only... they're trade
>paperbacks.  Priced at about ten pounds each.  And I need a really good
>reason to spend that much on a book by an author I've never tried.

_Wicked_ is much closer to literary fiction than fantasy, if that matters to
you.  The story itself is fantastical, but the construction is literary.
It's not the kind of novel I like, but is an excellent example of its type.
I think if you like, say, Margaret Atwood, you might also like Maguire.
Lots of good description and oblique characterization, very adult approaches
to problems, and of course with turning the Oz story on its head you also
have philosophical questions of identity and destiny.

Melissa Proffitt