Gregory Maguire - any good?

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Mar 18 13:01:40 EST 2003

I read, and loved, "Wicked."

It's a retelling of the Oz books from the point of view of the Wicked
Witch of the West--a much more adult retelling you should know. I
thoroughly enjoyed it.

I haven't gotten around to reading the others, although "Confessions
. . ." has been sitting on my shelf for a while now.

ian

>Has anyone read anything by Gregory Maguire?
>
>Borders in Cambridge has three books of his - _Wicked_, _Confessions of an
>Ugly Stepsister_, and _Lost_.  They sound like the kind of thing I enjoy,
>and I'd snap one up like a shot to see if I like it, only... they're trade
>paperbacks.  Priced at about ten pounds each.  And I need a really good
>reason to spend that much on a book by an author I've never tried.
>
>I've been waiting for mass-market paperbacks to appear, but I don't think
>they're going to.  And I can't borrow the books from the library, because
>they're only available here on import, and Cambridgeshire libraries very
>seldom acquire imports.
>
>Every time I've tried a new author thanks to recommendations from this list,
>it's been a success.  (Garth Nix, Megan Whalen Turner, Judith Merkle Riley,
>Georgette Heyer...) So if anyone here thinks he's worth the ten pounds, that
>would constitute a really good reason.  Similarly, if everyone dislikes his
>books, that would be a superb disincentive.
>
>So... any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Abigail.
>--

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net