Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 12:53:57 EST 2003

Abigail wrote:

> Since I've become a lot more squeamish as I've got older

> Also, I remember clearly that when I first read _Ender's
> Game_, I had no trouble at all believing that gifted children my age and
> younger could act as those children did; as I've got older, it's seemed
> less and less plausible that such young children could be so capable.

I've noticed that both of those are true for me, as well. I think I didn't
think of myself as "a child" when I was one, but assumed that I was capable
of most things. Probably children can do more than I think they can but less
than they think they can :)
I still have no difficulty believing in the cruelty towards Ender, though-
which may have something to do with being less squeamish- it's easy to be
cruel to someone if you don't think they're real, and one of the things
people are supposed to acquire as they mature is a knowledge that other
people have lives of their own. Maybe I find depictions of pain harder to
take now than when I was younger because I "believe" in the characters more.
Jennifer