Gregory Maguire - any good?

Abigail Gawith A.Gawith at tarragon-et.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 12:35:02 EST 2003

Has anyone read anything by Gregory Maguire?

Borders in Cambridge has three books of his - _Wicked_, _Confessions of an
Ugly Stepsister_, and _Lost_.  They sound like the kind of thing I enjoy,
and I'd snap one up like a shot to see if I like it, only... they're trade
paperbacks.  Priced at about ten pounds each.  And I need a really good
reason to spend that much on a book by an author I've never tried.

I've been waiting for mass-market paperbacks to appear, but I don't think
they're going to.  And I can't borrow the books from the library, because
they're only available here on import, and Cambridgeshire libraries very
seldom acquire imports.

Every time I've tried a new author thanks to recommendations from this list,
it's been a success.  (Garth Nix, Megan Whalen Turner, Judith Merkle Riley,
Georgette Heyer...) So if anyone here thinks he's worth the ten pounds, that
would constitute a really good reason.  Similarly, if everyone dislikes his
books, that would be a superb disincentive.

So... any thoughts?

Thanks,

Abigail.