Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Abigail Gawith A.Gawith at tarragon-et.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 12:30:25 EST 2003

I seem to be the odd one out here - I read (and loved) _Ender's Game_ aged
eleven or twelve.  I followed it up with _Speaker for the Dead_, which I
also enjoyed.  Of course, maybe that's why I'm so weird now. :)  Both books
were lent to me by my mother, who was quite cautious about which adult
novels she'd let me read at that age.

(Data point though - I read and enjoyed _Fire and Hemlock_ at 10.  I guess I
wasn't typical even for a voracious reader.)

Since I've become a lot more squeamish as I've got older, I think I'm glad I
read the OSC pair before I was into my teens.  If I read them for the first
time now, I'd be a lot more bothered by the giant's game, and by the... er,
major plot point (trying to avoid spoilers) in _Speaker for the Dead_.
Also, I remember clearly that when I first read _Ender's Game_, I had no
trouble at all believing that gifted children my age and younger could act
as those children did; as I've got older, it's seemed less and less
plausible that such young children could be so capable.

Abigail.