Card

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 17 19:01:45 EST 2003

I'm finding this discussion of his change as a writer interesting because I
have only read one of his books, the Sarah one (or the first Sarah one, if
there are more). I found the book readable but dull. The story of Sarah and
Hagar has been retold a lot by feminist writers because they obviously find
some interesting root ideas and conflicts in it. One of the best versions I
have read is a short story by Sarah Maitland in her collection "Book of
Spells". I highly recommend the whole book, actually. There's also, I
think, a whole short story collection by various authors which is all
retellings of Sarah's story. Anyway, my reaction to  Card's book was that
given there were so many good and interesting literary versions around, I
didn't really understand what he was doing from a writerly perspective with
such a straight (if not pedestrian) retelling. This is quite aside from
whatever personal or religious reasons he might have had.

Robyn