johanna johanna at nobrandheroine.net
Mon Mar 17 16:23:30 EST 2003

> My responses to telemarketers are usually (but alas, not always)
> tempered by the awareness that they probably hate it as much as I do. My
> younger daughter's first job was similar to telemarketing, she was  one
> of those annoying people who hang around a mall waving clipboards  and
> trying to get people to take surveys.

This was my first "real" job as a teenager, too. I actually mostly liked
it--even though there were tons of people who were really rude to me, I
seemed to be pretty good at getting people to do the surveys. I liked it
because I'd always wanted to be asked to do a survey (& hardly ever was,
as I'd been too young). And so I guess the fun was finding people who
wanted to be asked, too.

I didn't pester people, either; it's pretty easy to just wave off a
clipboard-wielding market researcher (or at least it was in our mall), &
if someone said no, I certainly didn't push it.

Johanna

--
What, after all, is a halo? It’s only one more thing to keep clean.
--Christopher Fry, The Lady's Not For Burning

www.nobrandheroine.net