Mon Mar 17 13:14:39 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:21:46 +1000, Emma Comerford wrote:

>>Sallyo. (who once considered telemarketing when more than usually broke but
>>never got as far as applying...)

>I have to admit that I took a job as a telemarketer last year, when I was
>in desperate need of money. However, I soon discovered my need for money
>did not justify enduring the horrors of the job (most people were nice, I
>just hated intruding on them and am not a pushy person). So I left as soon
>as I could - after three weeks: one week of work, plus two weeks notice. Ah
>well, I got a lot of funny stories, and some money out of the experience!

In the play I mentioned--the one with the Large Beautiful Heroine--another
of the characters is so over-educated that she can't be hired anywhere.  She
speaks four languages, has at least five college degrees undergrad and post,
and all she can do is...work as a telemarketer.  She has basically the same
experience with not being very pushy, and quits after almost ripping off a
poor old lady.  The scenes with the telemarketing are hilarious.

Melissa Proffitt