Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Mon Mar 17 12:29:17 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:51:39 +0200, Megan Knight wrote:

>His religion seems to be interfering in his writing as far as I am
>concerned. I hated the earth-bound series (I cannot remember what they were
>called, one was Ships of Earth, I think), which were just a rehash of the
>Mormon trek to Utah.

Well, um, not really.  You're on the right track; it's a retelling of the
Book of Mormon, one of our books of scripture.  He caught all kinds of flack
for it, by the way, from members of our church who did not understand what a
literary allegory was ("Blasphemy!" "You're rewriting scripture!"  "Do you
even HAVE a temple recommend?!?"--though technically he gets that for any
book he writes that has sex and/or violence in it).  Sometimes I find it
embarrassing to be associated with such people.

I don't like the Homecoming series either (I even had to look the series
name up) but mainly because...I just didn't like it.

As to him losing it as a writer, I don't think so.  He's certainly gotten to
the point where he can write anything he wants and have it published;
whether it will sell depends on his audience, and I think many of the
readers who became fans early on in his career have drifted away in the last
five or ten years.  I don't think his writing ability has tanked at all, but
I think his direction has wavered and he's produced a number of books not
because the audience wants them, but because they're in him to write.  It's
a dangerous step for a writer, but I'm not certain that he's lost it
completely yet.

Melissa Proffitt