Ender's Game (mild spoilers)

Mon Mar 17 12:16:12 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:53:58 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Yeah, come to think of it, a ward is a political unit here - members of
>county councils are elected for a particular ward.  It's effectively a
>sub-division of a constituency.  I'd guess the Mormons are using the same
>root concept when they call their congregations wards.

No, the root concept (as I recall) comes from the idea of a ward being a
protection against danger.  The ward is the smallest congregational unit;
several wards make a "stake," i.e. a tent stake, which supports the "tent"
of the Church--again, a protective metaphor.

Back in the very old days, when the Mormons were beginning their journey to
Utah Territory, groups were divided the way the ancient Israelites were for
the Exodus and were thought of as more military units.  It didn't last very
long, but they were certainly playing with different concepts in the 1840s.

And thus endeth the history lesson for today.  :)

Melissa Proffitt