gaiman and DWJ

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Mon Mar 17 06:20:05 EST 2003

For those who don't read Neil Gaiman's blog
(http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/journal.asp), there was an interesting
section on March 13 that refers to those bits in _Deep Secret_ based on Gaiman.

 >i once took an online 'neil gaiman purity test' and one of the questions
was 'do you know what the >connection is between neil gaiman and diana
wynne jones?' assuming the answer wasn't 'i really like >both their works,'
i don't know - and i have always wondered. can you fill me in?

 >I'm not sure which one they meant, to be honest. I dedicated Books of
Magic to Diana (and three other witches), >she dedicated Hexwood to me,
whereupon I wrote a poem about it which you may be able to find by
searching for >her name on the search function (as I put up on this blogger
a while ago). She put me, as me, on a panel at the >convention in Deep
Secrets, and gave a breakfasty thing that had happened to both of us to a
character in the >same book (I was the one who ate the breakfast in
question. Not a morning person). I got her a griffin for her >birthday last
year. My family flew on a plane to Minneapolis with Diana once, and I got
to experience her famous >travel jinx at first hand. Diana told me a couple
of years ago that I was the first adult who wasn't either a teacher or >a
children's librarian to tell her, back in 1984 or 85, that I loved her
books, which still makes me happy. I started >reading The Magicians of
Caprona to Maddy tonight. Pick any answer or none.

The next day, this was added:

 >The FAQer didn't quite remember the question properly. It wasn't how
Gaiman and Jones >are related, it's "Do you know the relation between
Stardust and Howl's Moving Castle?"

 >Oh. Right. That's a completely different matter. (The answer, of course,
is John Donne. Or part of >the answer...)

Emma